Roscoe Conkling / Valley View - Memorial Parkway & Oneida Street
Roscoe Conkling Park was the first park developed by T.R. Proctor. Within its borders are several Utica attractions, including the Parkway Recreation Center, Val Bialis Ski and Sled Center, the Eagle Monument and Picnic Area, Utica Zoo, Valley View Golf Course (designed by Robert Trent Jones) and the South Woods and Switchbacks.
The Park also contains several different buildings that serve visitors:
- The Picnic Pavilion is located near the entrance to the South Woods Switchbacks.
- Val Bialis Ski Chalet is located on the corner of the Memorial Parkway and Oneida Street in South Utica.
- Parkway Recreation Center is adjacent to the Ski Chalet on the corner of the Memorial Parkway and Oneida Street.
- A new playground, developed and underwritten by KaBOOM! (a national program that gives kids a safe place to play in their communities) and enhanced with ideas from local Utica youth was built in 2015. It is located next to the Parkway Recreation Center.
- The entrance to the Utica Zoo is on the Memorial Parkway, east of the Recreation Center.
- Valley View Golf Course and Club House are located near the corner of the Memorial Parkway and Valley View Road.
The South Woods and Switchback area of the park still retain areas of vegetation much like what early settlers to the region would have seen – ironwood, basswood, viburnum, and other early trees and shrubs.