Donate Volunteer

Memorial Parkway

The Memorial Parkway is the green connection among all three of Utica's parks. It begins as a 4-mile boulevard and then curves northward. The three parks have their entrances on the Parkway: first, Roscoe Conkling/Valley View, then T.R. Proctor Park, and finally, F.T. Proctor Park. The Parkway ends at Sherman Drive. The entire Parkway encompasses 5 miles and 60 acres.

The Memorial Parkway is home to 14 monuments that recognize famous Uticans, wars in which Utica citizens fought and died, or service organizations of importance to the City. Several other monuments pay tribute to historic figures. Each monument is surrounded and set off by landscaped beds of annuals and perennials, whose colors change each season, along with shrubs and trees.

 

Memorial Parkway Monuments

The Swan Memorial Fountain

The first memorial installed on the Parkway. It was created by famed sculptor Frederick William MacMonnies.

Statue Of Liberty

Erected in 1950. Given to Utica by the Boy Scouts of America as a "pledge of everlasting fidelity and loyalty."

Mary S. Hendricks Police and Firefighters Memorial Park

Erected in 2005 and dedicated to all those who have served the departments, and another memorializing the Rev. David G. Looney, a fire department chaplain who died in 1988.

Central New York War Memorial

Erected by the New York State POW/MIA Action Group in 2000.

James Schoolcraft Sherman

Erected by the Sherman Memorial Committee in 1923. Sherman, a Utican, served as vice president of the United States from 1909 to 1912 under President William Howard Taft.

Major Gen. Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben Memorial (1914)

Erected by the Utica German American Alliance in 1914. Often referred to as Baron von Steuben, the Prussian-born military officer was George Washington's chief of staff. After the war, he settled in Steuben where he is buried at what now is a state historical site.

Vietnam Memorial

Dedicated in 1985 to the men and women from Oneida County who served in Vietnam.

POW/MIA Memorial

Erected by the New York State POW/MIA Action Group in 1992. A monument dedicated to all prisoners of war and those missing in action. It bears the inscription "We speak for those who can't."

Christopher Columbus Memorial

Erected in 1952. Given to the city by the Federation of Italian-American Societies of Utica, it originally stood outside of the entrance to the Observer-Dispatch, but was relocated to its current location in 1966.

George E. Dunham Memorial

Erected in 1931. George E. Dunham was editor of the Utica Daily Press and president of the Press Publishing Company.

Thomas R. Proctor Memorial

Erected in 1921. Sculpted by George Brewster and erected by the people of Utica to "perpetuate the memory of Thomas Redfield Proctor who gave to the city he loved its magnificent system of public parks."

9/11 Memorial

A monument dedicated to the memory of the 2,998 people who died during the terrorist attacks on New York City, the Pentagon and Shanksville, Pennsylvania.

Spanish American War/USS Maine Memorial

Erected in 1915. Known as "The Hiker," it is dedicated to the soldiers and sailors of the Spanish American War by the citizens of Oneida County.

Brigadier Gen. Casmir Pulaski Memorial

Erected in 1930. General Pulaski distinguished himself throughout the American Revolution as a general in the Continental Army and saved the life of George Washington.